Born in 1816 at Cork, Ireland, educated at Magdalen Hall, Oxford. He was appointed by the Sovereign Queen Victoria on recommendation of the Archbishop of Canterbury in 1850 to be the 1st Bishop of Mauritius and was consecrated on 30th November 1854. When he arrived there were 3 places of worship – The Cathedral, St Thomas and St John. When he left there were 13 clergymen, 7 churches, 3 Chapels and 1 floating church: Mariner’s Church – Mahebourg – dedicated to Christ the King – 8 Jan 1856 – Mahe Church, Seychelles – St Paul the Apostle – 14 May 1859 – Parslin Church, Seychelles – St Matthew the Apostle – 18 May 1859 – La Digue Chapel, Seychelles – 19 May 1859 – Pamplemousses – St Barnabas – 9 November 1859 – Le Morne Chapel – Licensed on 4 May 1860 – St Mary’s Church, Plaine Verte – 4 April 1863 – Western Suburb Chapel, Port Louis – Pailles Church (St Peter’s in the woods) – St Paul’s Plaine Verte (for Bangalee and Negree Christians) – 27 August 1864 – Rebuilding of Vacoas Church.
During his episcopate, the Gospel went from Mauritius to the eastern coast of Africa and to Madagascar. Dr. Ryan held ten ordination services. He left Mauritius on 18 November 1867 due to ill health.
Born on 18 September 1817 in London, educated at King’s College, London. He was consecrated 2nd Bishop of Mauritius on 24th February 1869 and held two ordinations. Due to epidemia of malaria fever in 1867, many people had died. The diocese also underwent serious material loss due to severe cyclone on 12th March 1868. Repairs had to be undertaken in several churches. On 1st August 1869, he installed in his cathedral the Rev Jean Gedeon René Rembault de la Chapelle de Joux as 1st Archdeacon of Mauritius.
Dr. Hatchard died on 28th February 1870 and is buried in St Thomas’ graveyard, Beau Bassin.
Born in 1825, studied at King’s College, London. He was consecrated 3rd Bishop of Mauritius on St Andrew’s day – 30th November 1870. He worked as missionary for the SPG in India. He had 2 ordinations and appointed the first Archdeacon of the Seychelles, the Rev S. Hobbs. He died of albuminuria in Port Louis on 18 June 1871 and is buried at Bois Marchand Cemetery.
Born on 6 June 1830 in London. He was consecrated 4th Bishop of Mauritius on 15 December 1872 and enthroned on 21 March 1873. He held 15 ordination Services. He opened the following churches and chapels:
He had an aggressive missionary activity – Several Schools were opened or restarted. In September 1889, Bishop Royston had to leave Mauritius due to ill health.
Educated in Oxford, he was consecrated 5th Bishop of Mauritius on 2 February 1891. He had excellent organizational skills. He consecrated Holy Trinity Chapel, Rose Hill on 22 November 1891. On 29 April 1892 a fierce cyclone hit the island bringing much distress – Nearly all church buildings and the Bishop’s Residence were destroyed. All classes of the Mauritian community were drawn by the bonds of a common calamity. The Bishop called on all Anglicans to preserve this bond of union. He also recommended that Anglicans change their hostile attitude towards the Roman Catholic Church. Bishop Walsh was highly concerned about the pastoral of the Indian Congregations. He was also much interested in missionary work among the higher social class of Indian Women. On 21 June 1897, he held a service at the Cathedral to commemorate the sixtieth anniversary of the Queen Victoria’s reign which H.E the Governor Sir Charles Bruce and High officials to the country attended.
Dr. Walsh left Mauritius on 10 March 1897 to attend the Lambeth Conference of Bishops in London. He was then appointed by the Archbishop of Canterbury, Frederick Temple, Archdeacon of Canterbury and Suffragan Bishop of Dover.
Educated in Cambridge and consecrated 6th Bishop of Mauritius on 29 September 1898. At this time Mauritius was struck by Plague which was to remain up to 1932. He restored many churches, St Paul’s Vacoas, St Thomas’ Beau Bassin, St Peter’s in the Wood Pailles and Christ Church, Mahebourg. He held a special service on 21 June 1900 to celebrate the bicentenary of the SPG first missionary agency to start work in the Diocese. He also organized a solemn memorial service on the day of the burial of Queen Victoria on 2 February 1901. He held 4 ordination services. He is remembered as “A man of strong convictions and strong feelings”. Dr. Pym left at the end of May 1903.
Born on 2 October 1848, educated at Oxford. He was consecrated 7th Bishop of Mauritius on 25 May 1904. He was a missionary of SPG and was sent to Madagascar to be the warden of St Paul’s Theological College at Abatoharanana. When Bishop Gregory took over in 1904 there had been a decline in missionary work. Social outlook was deplorable. CMS gradually withdrew and this was a great blow to the diocese. Bishop Gregory held 22 ordination services. He also had a strong teams of faithful missionary ladies in the diocese. He restored the cathedral and beautified its interior by lining the walls with teak, paving the passage with black and white marble. The restored cathedral was reopened on 22 June 1911 to mark the coronation of King George V.
Bishop Gregory resigned on 23 April 1919.
Educated at Oxford. He was appointed 8th Bishop of Mauritius in 1919 and enthroned on 18 April 1920. He was dignified and had a commanding presence! He was very good at training, organization and discipline. He believed in a “muscular type of Christianity” and took special interest in the welfare of young people. He reminded his folk that the Holy Scriptures should be central in their devotional life. Dr. Golding-Bird took a special interest in Mission Schools which numbered 21. In 1922, he opened one in Sebastopol. He also insisted that Physical education should be part of the Curriculum. He had good relations with the Roman Catholic Church and sincere and warm friendship with the Indo-Mauritians. He was remembered for his effort to promote the welfare and progress of the Indo-Mauritians and uplifted their status. Bishop Golding-Bird held 7 ordination services in his cathedral. He resigned on 11 November 1930.
Born on 7 March 1887, educated at Cambridge. He was consecrated 9th Bishop of Mauritius on 11 June 1931. When he took over, a cyclone hit Mauritius and caused considerable ddamage. Bishop Otter-Barry spent a long time in England collecting funds for repairs. He founded the “Diocesan Poor Relief Fund” in July 1930. Bishop Otter-Barry held 12 ordination Services in his cathedral. On Empire Day 24 May 1936, the bishopwas presented a stone from Canterbury Cathedral by Free-Mason and it was placed in the porch of the Cathedral at a special service at 3 p.m. marking the diocesan kink with the Mother Church of the Anglican Communion. On 26 June 1950, services were held to mark the Centenary of the Consecration of the Cathedral. He held 12 ordination services. He is remembered as a true Christian and an evangelical man. H resigned on 28 September 1959.
Born on 12 September 1907, educated at King’s College, London. He was consecrated 10th Bishop on 29 September 1959. Cyclone Aix visited the island on 19 January 196. And followed by fierce “Carol” a month later. The damages caused were considerable. Bishop Rogers had a 5 year programme of reconstruction and development. SPG’s help was immediate. Churches were re-built, some re-roofed. Due to financial problems, Bishop Rogers had to hand over to the government all the Anglican Schools. For nearly 150 years the Anglican Church had been able to make a substantial contribution towards free education in Mauritius. Bishop Rogers worked towards a thorough Mauritianisation of the diocese. The Board of Commissioners was composed of Mauritians. Mauritian Clergy were treated just as expatriate clergymen. He appointed the first Mauritian Archdeacon, Ven. Victor Donat. He held 7 ordination services. During his episcopate, in November 1965, The Most Reverend Dr. Michael Ramsey, Archbishop of Canterbury visited the diocese. Bishop Rogers left Mauritius on 5 September 1966.
Born on 24th December 1906, educated at London University. He was consecrated 11th Bishop of Mauritius on 1st November 1966. His episcopate was one of acute financial difficulties. He was greatly concerned with spirituality in his diocese. He launched the project “Power for Witness” in 1969. This brought about Bible Study groups in Christian Homes. On the Independence Day 12th March 1968he led a great Civic Service and a Chain of Prayer. He became the first Archbishop of the Province in April 1973 and consecrated the first Bishop of the Seychelles, George Cardell Briggs. In his time, the Ordinance 21 of 1874 which had regulated the Diocese of Mauritius nearly 100 years came to an end. A bill was passed in Legislative assembly in May 1973 conferring Corporate Status to the Anglican Diocese of Mauritius. Bishop Curtis held 3 ordination services. He resigned in 1976.
Born on 18 June 1928, educated at King’s College, London. He was the first Mauritian to be elected 12th Bishop of Mauritius on 3rd October 1976 and consecrated on 5th December 1976. He was the first Mauritian ever to give the traditional Episcopal blessing to the city of Port Louis. He unfortunately succumbed from a massive heart attack two months after his consecration. Bishop Emmanuel wrote the only book on the History of the Diocese of Mauritius which was published in 1975.
Born on 15th June 1913, educated in Oxford. He was installed as 13th Bishop of Mauritius on 9 April 1978. He was an out spoken critic of the apartheid regime of South Africa where he worked from 1943 to 1956. He was highly supportive of ecumenism and inter-faiths dialogue. The Phoenix organized by Bishop Trevor offered unique occasions to Mauritians of various backgrounds to listen to guest speakers on specific themes or debating issues such as Marxism, Vedism, Islam, Hinduism, Christianity, etc.… He held 3 ordination services. Bishop Huddleston retired 1983.
Born on 20 January 1936. Educated in Delhi, India and Wisconsin, USA. He was consecrated on 20 May 1984 and enthroned as 14th Bishop of Mauritius on 27 May 1984. He served prior to his episcopate as warden of St Andrew’s school for seventeen years. He showed genuine interest to socio-economic and educational development. Through him funds were made available to projects related to self-sufficiency in food and the rehabilitation of drug addicts. In the field of education, a new complex was built in the campus of Rodrigues College in 1989. Together with the leaders of the Roman Catholic and the Presbyterian churches, he was closely involved in creating the FBTM which offers training in biblical and theological basics. He held 3 ordination services.
In his time, the Mors Reverend Georges Carey, Archbishop of Canterbury visited the diocese and he presided over the 150th anniversary celebration of the consecration of St James Cathedral in Port Louis, St Thomas in Beau Bassin and St John in Reduit. He retired in January 2001.
Born on 30 August 1954. Educated in Madras Christian College, India, St Paul’s Theological College Mauritius and Westhill College, Birmingham, England. He was consecrated on 24 June and installed as the 15th Bishop of Mauritius on 1 July 2001. In the first years of his episcopate following the outcome of a diocesan survey, the Training Center for Ministries and Community development was established in 2004. It is until now involved in the training of laity and the in-training of the clergy. Emphasis is beign laid on Mission and Evangelism. Two churches have been planted in La Ferme, Rodrigues and in Tamarin respectively. Brisse Verdiere and Trou d’Eau Douce are developing basic Christian communities. In the field of Education, new building complexes with modern amenities at Rodrigues College and at St Andrew’s school are now in service. In the field of Social development, a diocesan NGO Anglicare has been created in 2010 and in enabling parishes and diocesan institutions to be more involved in dealing with societal issues.
He held 3 ordination services and after a three year training period 37 men and women were commissioned as Lay Readers. In the field of biblical and theological equipping, more than sxty people have and are following courses. A new approach to Sunday. School and Youth ministry have been developed. A ministry for the family and the elderly have been established. New plans of action for ministry and mission are still being developed.